Bill Introduced in Florida to Keep Doctors from Asking About Firearms

I love the idea of the bill, and wish it would find it’s way to the national stage at some point. I personally find the whole idea of doctors asking about firearms to be very intrusive, especially in light of it’s complete irrelevance to my healthcare.

I do think the proposed penalties are pretty harsh though, and it’s sure to be something that gets negotiated down if this ever comes near a vote:

Sponsored by Rep. Jason Brodeur, R-Sanford, the bill (HB 155) would make it a felony for a physician or staff member to ask patients or family members of patients if they own guns or store guns at home. If found guilty, the medical provider could be fined up to $5 million or face up to five years in jail. The measure has been referred to three House committees but has yet to be scheduled.

With the other bills expanding gun rights on Florida Legislators’ agenda, it’s looking like a pretty good year down there.

Update:

The Ammoland Blog has an article that explains why this is important.

Share and Enjoy:
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Reddit
  • RSS

Related posts:

6 Responses to “Bill Introduced in Florida to Keep Doctors from Asking About Firearms”

1. Wes says:

A felony! Well, the left seems to want to make it a felony to even consider looking at a gun, so tit for tat, I guess.

Is there a box on a form the doctor checks if you say you have guns? So the government can use the digital document later to register your guns? The whole question itself is just weird.

• crapgame says:

Well, I can’t remember off the top of my head, but either the American Medical Association or the American Journal of Medicine (will research when I get home), has been pushing for doctors to ask patients about guns in the house – this is especially true of pediatricians asking children, who have no place answering that question. It’s intrusive as hell, but not directly government related, so as far as my limited knowledge on the subject goes, it wouldn’t be affected by constitutional protections.

It’s never been asked of me, but my immediate answer would be “none of your damned business.”

• george says:

Question is a safety issue since most gun owners do not have the common sense to keep guns away from children ie the kid with the automatic gun getting killed. IF YOU are answering “none of your damned business” you obviously need to have the question asked.

• Crapgame says:

No, I don’t. I go to a physician for him to take care of whatever physical things I’m there for. It is not a doctor’s place to ask those questions. Considering the huge number of firearms in private hands, and the tragic, yet minuscule number of children killed due to improper storage of firearms, neither does anybody else. Do you get concerned if a doctor asks a kid about the parents drug habits, smoking, drinking, fatty foods? At least those three things have a massively higher relative risk of causing a problem that a doctor could address.

I fail to see how the improper judgement in one case (at a machine gun shoot no less) has to do with a physician asking about guns. Would that poor kid be alive because his pediatrician want to know if there were guns at home?

Congratulations on being our first anti-gunner, good job on being bereft of logic, and golly, it shouldn’t be asked of me or anyone else.

• Gus says:

Wow. So much wrong in so short a statement.

1. Everything is a “safety issue” Do you wear the correct shoes for walking on wet grass? Are your steak knives always locked up? Have you ever or do you intend to skip a stop sign? Do you have a license to operate a bicycle? Is your pool gate lock in working order?

Your doctor can go on for hours about “safety issues” It is, however, his job to diagnose your medical condition and treat it, not to spy for big brother.

2. Your “Most gun owners” statement – Prove it.

3. Why would someone not wanting to share private information with someone who has no business asking the question qualify them to be questioned?

Your circular reasoning makes me dizzy.

2. Wes says:

Too bad it’s not a felony every time Border Patrol at their 50-miles-inside-the-border checkpoints stop every single car on the highway and ask the people if they are a U.S. citizen. Or all the drunk-driving checkpoints that stop you. You know, since both things Should be considered violations of the Fourth Amendment. I know, I know, since when does anyone care about Constitutional Amendments.