Marlin Camp 9 Carbine – A Transformation – Part 2

In my previous post, I described the difficulties and motivations surrounding my wish to change the appearance of my Marlin Camp 9 Carbine.  While the wood stock is very nice, I wasn’t happy with the ergonomics, and I wanted to add one with a pistol grip.

(continued below)

Since I needed to disassemble the carbine, I decided to pick up a replacement recoil buffer from Blackjack Buffers. Blackjack also sells a couple of different replacement recoil springs for the Camp Carbine, but at this point I am still using the factory one. I plan to pick up a spare or two, on the basis that the Carbine hasn’t been produced since 1999.

I have a confession – I have sinned. The last time I took the Carbine to the range, it went back to the safe dirty. This was an ideal time to rectify that situation.

With the stock permanently pinned, and the new recoil buffers in hand, I was ready to take care of things.

As you can see, the wood stock is quite nice, but the grip portion is too thick for me to comfortably use. I removed the two screws holding the stock in place, keeping the longer of the two to use on the new stock.

Marlin Camp Carbine - Closeup of rear screw

Removing the stock

With the stock removed, I was ready to disassemble the action, clean it, and replace the recoil buffer. As you can see from the image, the lower part of the action is made from a polymer material.

Marlin Camp Carbine - Stock removed

Looking at the action after removing the two pins. There’s a small piece that’s easy to get out, but fiddly to put back in.

Marlin Camp Carbine - disassembling

Yeah, I know, it's dirty.

As you can see, the old buffer is a bit marked up, but in decent shape. I’m saving it as a backup to the backup. It’s intact, so I don’t see a reason to get rid of it, as it may come in handy some time in the future.

Marlin Camp Carbine - view of the original recoil buffer

The old recoil buffer

Marlin Camp Carbine - a closer look at the buffer

A closer look

The new buffer (right) is made of a hard blue plastic. I believe the factory recoil buffer is made from nylon.

Marlin Camp Carbine recoil buffers

Comparison of the old buffer with it's replacement.

Installing the new buffer was simple. After removing the bolt assembly, I took a wide bladed flathead screwdriver and carefully pried the old one out. The round part on the back of the buffer fits snugly into a hole at the rear of the action.

Marlin Camp Carbine - new recoil buffer

The new recoil buffer installed.

A couple of pictures of the replacement stock. It’s not pretty, but I serves my purposes much better than the pretty wooden stock.

Marlin Camp Carbine - a look at the new stock

The new stock

Marlin Camp Carbine - another look at the stock

Here’s a closeup of the folding assembly – the small pin to the right is the most visible indication that it is disabled, but there is also a metal wedge in there somewhere. It is not possible to return this to a working condition.

Marlin Camp Carbine - closeup of the permanently pinned folding mechanism.

Closeup of the permanently pinned folding mechanism.

Marlin Camp Carbine - the now-defunct folding assembly

The now-defunct folding assembly.

The new stock didn’t come with screws – you are expected to use the ones from the old stock. Unfortunately, the rear screw is simply not long enough to “bite”. I took a trip to Home Depot and found a longer one. Your mileage may vary, but we were unable to locate a screw head type, and settled on a carriage bolt. It was a small adventure getting it in, requiring a small amount of paper towel stuffing into the driver head.  I used the longer rear screw from the original stock as the front screw on the new one.

Marlin Camp Carbine - replacement stock screw

The reassembled Camp Carbine, only one thing left.

Marlin Camp Carbine with the new stock

As an experiment, I’m using some pipe insulation around the narrow part of the stock to help improve the cheek weld. Once I have a chance to get to the range (it’s under a few feet of snow right now…), I’ll see how it works out. No huge cost if it doesn’t work out, and easily replaceable if it does.

Marlin Camp Carbine - some foam to improve the cheek weld

It looks a little "bubba" doesn't it?

I glossed over the disassembly and reassembly steps – It’s very easy to take apart, but there are a couple of points where you can go wrong putting it back together. Here’s a link to a MS Word doc (sorry, I’m not happy about that either), that explains the steps very clearly, with pictures at RivrDog’s blog.

I’m happy with the transformation – I’m hoping that it shoots as comfortably as it feels. At some point, when Mother Nature stops dumping snow on New England, I’ll take it out to the range and report on how it worked out.

Share and Enjoy:
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Reddit
  • email
  • RSS

Related posts:

4 Responses to “Marlin Camp 9 Carbine – A Transformation – Part 2”

  1. Miguel says:

    Although I’d kept the wood (might have done some deep refinishing), if it works for you, that is the only thing that matters.
    Shoot the hell out of it and enjoy!
    Signed: Seriously Jealous Reader.

  2. Crapgame says:

    I still have the wood, which is in perfect condition. I wouldn’t get rid of it. I simply didn’t like the ergonomics.

  3. BOB CHURCH says: